Friday, March 25, 2011

Week #3 Day #4 Cycle

What a frigid ride.  I got about 1.5 miles out, and the tube on my Camelbak froze up.  Luckily I was able to get some water moving through the hose to get the blockage cleared.  Guess I should have been drinking a touch more.  My ride started on a nice little warmup route, then off to Luton Park for the meat of the ride.  On a side note, I wish I would have had a camera handy because some of the sites I saw with the sun shining through the ice on everything was awesome.  The freezing rain didn't effect the ride too much, I was a bit more cautious on the MTB portion of the ride focusing on technique which may or may not have been good.  I crashed twice on the trail, and both times I was flying right toward pretty substantial trees.  I did have to cut the ride sort however, because my future in laws were getting close to my place.  It was probably a good thing that I abbreviated the ride, because I think I was close to getting frostbite on one of my toes.  I almost forgot the other moment of panic I had on the ride.  The last 1/4 mile or so is a great downhill headed to my house.  I shifted out of my highest gear, because the road was starting to level out.  When I did that, coincidentally enough ice had accumulated on my bike to cause the back tire to rub on the accumulated ice.  That made me a bit nervous given the problems I had had with screwing up the rear-end of the bike last fall.   Luckily I didn't need the small chainring at all today, because the ice accumulation also made the front derailleur kind of unreliable.  Overall though, I loved the ride, just wish I had a solution for keeping my toes warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment